Who Can Enter
Core team members (director, producer, cinematographer, editor) are REQUIRED to be youth (12-19). Other team members may be of any age outside of the core team members. We highly recommend a team approach to cover the 4 core roles, but the competition also allows a single teenager to act as all 4 core roles.
The 2021 TFC is 72 hours between Thursday, August 5, 2021 at 8:00 pm EST and Sunday, August 8 at 8:00 pm EST. The kickoff event begins at 7:00 pm EST on Thursday, August 5. Films must be completely uploaded by 8:00 pm EST on Sunday, August 8. Late films received after the official deadline are NOT eligible for awards and prizes.
While it’s encouraged for as many team members to be present, each team must have at least one representative at the official Kickoff Event of the Teen Film Challenge on THURSDAY, AUGUST 5, 2021 at 7:00 PM EST.
- Each group will select the GENRE and a TITLE in a random virtual drawing.
All creative work must take place during the Teen Film Challenge time period. Any creative work completed in advance of the competition weekend is prohibited. This includes, but is not limited to the following:
- Costume/Set Design
- Sound Design
The only work allowed prior to the competition is:
- Recruiting and organizing the crew
- Recruiting and organizing the cast
- Securing equipment
- Scouting/securing locations
Any film type is allowed as long as it reasonably connects to the genre, title, and prop drawn at the kickoff event. Film types includes narrative, documentary, stop motion, animation, etc. The running time for films is 3-6 minutes, not including end credits.
Films should be family friendly. Films should NOT contain explicit language, violence, and/or sexual situations. Films should NOT promote any type of drug or alcohol use. Think PG Rating!
Teams are encouraged to work with musicians to write and record music for the films. Teams can also use pre-recorded music but must have rights to any music used in the film. Teams must provide releases for all music used and recognize music in the film credits.
Total Running Time
The finished film must be a minimum of 3 minutes and a maximum of 6 minutes — not including end credits.
Before the finished film begins, the following needs to be on-screen:
- 5 seconds of black
- A title card with: team name, title, genre, and date
- The official Teen Film Challenge logo (emailed to all team leaders)
- 2 seconds of black
The End Credits MUST include:
- Film Title
- Any other “production roles”
- The words “This film was made for the 2021 Teen Film Challenge.“
Final Film Format for Export
The final exported film should be formatted as one of the following:
- (preferred) 1080 H.264
- (if using Adobe Premiere) export as “Vimeo HD 1080p” preset
How to Submit Your Final Film
- We recommend that each team submit two copies of the final film
- ALL FILMS need to be uploaded by 8:00pm EST on SUNDAY to SUBMITTABLE.com.
- NOTE: late films received after the official deadline are eligible for screening but not eligible for awards and prizes.